Support for Climate Activists
Our thanks go to those who, in the face of the climate crisis, do not look away but get involved. As a thank you and to support you, we offer the following to activists:
Activists sometimes wait too long before seeking support. So please feel free to get in touch with us – even if you do not feel burnt out yet.
We are happy to receive your enquiry and have sufficient capacity to attend to it. We will arrange a counselling for you, which can be about a variety of things:
- I have problem X – what can I do?
- I have goal Y – how can I achieve it?
- Do I need psychotherapy?
- How do I get on a treatment program? (For Germany visit www.wege-zur-psychotherapie.org for more information about this.)
For counselling requests, please send an e-mail to: email@example.com.
If you do not receive an answer within 48 hrs on working days, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you prefer a counselling on site, please contact the regional group near you.
We offer webinars on topics such as sustainable activism, mindfulness and emotional coping of the climate crisis. Here you will be informed about our next webinars: t.me/psy4f (telegram channel).
In some places we can also offer workshops for you on site, e.g. on sustainable activism (self-care, stress management, burnout prevention, mindfulness) or discussion groups to support emotional coping of the climate crisis.
We are happy to offer further topics for workshops or lectures that interest you on request.
Climate Resilience – Emotional Coping Strategies for the Climate Crisis
We have collected 14 climate resilience strategies that have helped many activists not to despair of the climate crisis but to grow personally.
The 10 pillars of self-care promote your resilience to cope with stress. The better the pillars are positioned, the better they can support you. We recommend writing down what works well for you and which pillars you would like to strengthen in our worksheet. By using the weekly schedule on the last page you can decide in advance how many hours you want to commit to activism and what you would like to do to regenerate.
Mindfulness helps you to experience, shape, and enjoy your life more consciously. It is a very basic skill and art that we will briefly introduce to you in this handout. However, regular practice is more important than reading. You can find guided meditations at Soundcloud (in German) or in the app Insight Timer.
The smartphone is a central tool for many activists but also a source of stress. It is a high art to use this tool in a meaningful way. Our worksheet (in German) on digital mindfulness should help you to handle the device more consciously.
Meditation does not always have to take place in a sitting position. A mindful walk can also be a valuable source of strength and connect you with yourself and nature.
We have compiled the most important recommendations for healthy sleep to help you relax at night.
This handout explains how you can achieve your goals through regular interaction with a friend.
In this worksheet (in German) you will find suggestions on what you can do to counter your own burnout factors.
Dealing With Conflicts
With this handout for non-violent communication (in German) you can prepare for difficult conversations in order to solve conflicts constructively.
If you have any questions regarding these suggestions, please contact beratungpsychologistsforfuture.org.
Emergency Numbers & Telephone Counselling
You can find a list of emergency numbers in Germany for mental crises here.
If you are under psychological stress, you can also call the follwing numbers from Germany around the clock:
- Telephone counselling (chat also possible)
+49 800 111 0 111 or 0800 111 0 222
for Austria: 142
- Number against sorrow (chat also possible)
+49 800 111 0 550 (parents’ telephone)
+49 800 111 0 333 (children and young people’s telephone)
- The 6 minute diary – structured instructions for more well-being: https://urbestself.de/products/the-6-minute-diary
- A good plan – calendar with questions for reflection: https://einguterplan.de/agoodplan
- The Lifelong Activist – a classic in English which can be read for free at: https://lifelongactivist.com/
- Recommendation for self-organisation: In order not to lose track of your political activism, apps for scheduling and task planning are helpful. They require a few minutes daily to maintain them. Watch short videos on how to use them best.
- Most popular meditation app worldwide with timer and many free guided meditations: insighttimer.com
- Apps on depression & so-called mood tracker apps are helpful, but unfortunately only anonymous to a limited extent.
- Retreats for activists: If you need a timeout, you can check out this donation-based retreat option: https://aktivisti-retreat.org/en/
- Out of Action – Emotional First Aid: Offers groups for people who made traumatic experiences in activism: https://outofaction.blackblogs.org/. In the “Material” section of the website you can find a reader on coping with violence.
- Hate Aid: A helpline for people affected by digital violence (ranging from misquotations to insults, threats and hate storms): https://hateaid.org/
Please do not hesitate to contact us. If you like, you can write few sentences about your situation in your e-mail. You can also request our PGP key. Please include your place of residence in your e-mail to us.
If we already have a colleague in your area in our network, we will put them in CC in our reply to you, so they can contact you. They will be informed about what you have written to us.
You can then decide together if a meeting or a (video) phone call is possible or useful.
If we do not yet have a colleague in your area, we will arrange a (video) phone call in the same way.
Although our counselling services are free of charge, appointments should still be valued with commitment. For this reason, we would like you to compensate us for a ton of CO2 (= 23€, atmosfair.de) in case of a cancellations on short notice (< 24 hrs).
If there are any difficulties during your conversation with our therapists, please report them to email@example.com. We want you to be well supported and take your request seriously.
You are a Therapist?
Therapists who are interested in supporting us can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.